Saturday, January 7, 2012

What legal rights do I have as a long term resident of a family home that someone else inherited?

I have been living with my elderly grandmother on the family farm and helping take care of her and the house for nearly a decade. During that time I have become disabled and can no longer work. My grandmother recently ped away and farm is in a trust with my mother and her sister as the beneficiaries. I think my grandmother just umed that my mother and my aunt would allow me to continue to live there but she never made any arrangements for life tenancy for me. Now, my mom and her sister have had the farm appraised and found out it is worth about $2.5 million so they (mainly my mom and dad) are now trying to kick me out of the house so they can sell the farm to a developer. Do I have any legal rights as a long term resident of this property who is disabled and has nowhere to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment