Saturday, January 7, 2012

Will my therapist be repulsed by my mother / daughter feelings for her and confuse it with ism?

m going through a confusing time. Im the only child of a seriously mentally ill mum ( neglectful and emotionally abusive but I love her greatly and see she was ill and did her best) and an absent non committal father. Im now 34yrs old, Im female. At 17, I decided myself to contact a therapist as I was experiencing panic. I bonded with her very well and she constantly expressed her admiration for me and encourged me every step of the way. I'm a well balanced logical individual and have done ok in life for myself. However my mother is now in long term institutional care and I find the adjustment difficult and sad. So i've established contact with my therapist again. I've seen her on and off since I was 17, cometimes with breaks of 5/6 years. But now I'm back for a few sessions and I find I'm so attached to her and I feel an extremely close bond. I find myself wishing I could be in her life in an other way rather than a paying client i.e a friendship. I realise this experience is known as 'transference' in therapy and is common. Also i realise a therapist is not a friend and they have boundaries to maintain. However, I wish this wasnt the case. As I'm now 34 and she is 72 I find this relationship very special and I feel shes a very special person to me. Shes told me i'm one her special clients and that she'd always do what she can for me,always as she admires my strength of character. My session today was outside of the office i.e in a restaurant and she ran it over by 40 minutes past the hour and then offered to drop me somewhere i needed to go. Shes just an incredibly special person to me and feel so blessed that i found her as my therapist so many years ago. I find we have so much in common and I just wish she was my mother or that in some way she felt she would like me as a daughter (shes married with no kids). I know I sound like a fool and i realise here that I'm paying her for a service, not a friendship but still I wish i could have more of her time ( and i know this is probably not possible) and is probably one sided on my part as she has other patients. Do you think she feels anything at all toward me? I'd say shes probably overstepped her boundaries as shes not aware of my feelings but i'm to embarressed to express them. She really is a sweet person, really really lovely. If i express them, could she confuse it with feelings? Also she offered to help me with a practical problem and told me to ring her to see how i got on dealing with something between sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment